Wednesday, July 15, 2009

More Experiences With the Brown Scapular

When I was in college I used to date a young man from a Catholic family. I have met both of his parents and his younger sister. But I didn't get to meet his older sister at the time.

In fact, I thought my date told me the family disowned her because she got a divorce and remarried. I was concerned about her and her salvation and I think I even prayed that she'd repent from her sin and go to Heaven.


About 11 years ago I did finally get to meet her. She was standing next to her younger sister. I found out both sisters, their brother (the one I dated) and their mother were all alcoholics.

I saw her again-this time on a very regular basis-almost 2 years ago. She told me about what had happened. She got pregnant by her boyfriend and her father made her marry him. He was an alcoholic himself and never seemed to be able to get his life straightened around.

She was able to have that marriage annulled by the Church and then married another alcoholic who was also a loser. She divorced him too, got that marriage annulled, and married a sober alcoholic.

By that time she was sober herself.
She and I were on the subject of the Brown Scapular and I found out she had enrolled in it at the time of her First Communion.

But she no longer had the Scapular. So I gave her one in mint condition which I had been keeping in a drawer. A few months later she passed away. And I hope that she wore the Scapular that I had given her at the time of her death.
I believe that the Lord has answered my prayer and saved my friend's sister's soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment